In Search of Serenity

Inspired by my colleague Marica Sevelj. We each have a life that offers a unique view on the world we live in. Welcome to my view.

Name:
Location: Whanganui, New Zealand

Sunday, June 11, 2006

It has been a while since I last posted an entry here. When I first started this blog I thought I might use it to combine my two main interests in life, namely spirituality and art. Since both of these interests have arisen out of my search for peace it made sense to me to call my blog "In search of serenity".

Unfortunately my interests don't share an equal space in my life beyond work at the moment. I spend a lot of time focussing on my spirituality but very little time focussing on my art. I am a tad out of balance. Looking from the outside in, you might think that one would inspire the other. This doesn't seem to be the case. Through my spiritual work I see many things and if it were as simple as the click of a camera and the image would be reproduced I would have many more works of art than I do now.

These images would be punctuated with bright colours, more vibrant and electric than any colours I have seen in this life. They would show energy in its raw state, mountains higher than the tallest peak on earth, teeming with life greener than the lush green rain forests, skies richer and bluer than the big skies of New Zealand. They would depict a space deeper and more vast yet closer than the starry skies we see on a clear night. This is the reality of the world I see through my spiritual lens.

In this reality time has no meaning, small details of everyday life seem petty and irrelevant. An overwhelming sense of calm and peace are the only feelings I have. It is a feeling of being at one with all things. When viewed from this perspective I know what serenity is. It is an all encompassing sense of well-being that pervades everything, all that I am, all that I ever have been and all that I ever will be. It is a feeling of peace so infinite that nothing else matters. With it comes an empowering sense of freedom that temporarily releases me from the shackles of this life. This is not unlike the feeling I get when I lose myself in the moment of creating a work of art.

So why don't I paint these images? Is it really that I don't have the time or the mental headspace to paint or are these just excuses for my own fear of not being able to re-create the beauty and the energy of the images I see in my mind?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home